[Translation] Chaper 3(3) Sealed with a Kiss Novel

This part of the novel differs from the drama. In the drama, Mo Shaoqian just put Tong Xue to bed and spent the rest of the night in her room contemplating about their relationship. In the novel, he...ahem...has other intentions. It's implied that Mo Shaoqian actually has intercourse with a drunken Tong Xue, even though she doesn't remember much of it the next morning.

我似乎还在哽咽,今天晚上我给他丢脸了,虽然他没有骂我,但我知道。我只觉得很害怕,我承担不起惹怒他的后果,却因为情绪而放纵自己失态。在这样安静的夜色里,他的眼睛让我感到惶恐。我伸出手搂住了他的脖子,我听到自己的声音,几近喃喃地说:“不要离开我……”
I seem to be choking on my sobs. Tonight, I caused him to lose face. Even though he did not scold at me, I know it. I only fear now because I can’t afford face the consequences of his wrath. Being in such rotten mood, I let myself go and behaved without reservation. In this peaceful tranquility of the night, his eyes terrify me. I put out my arms to wrap around his neck. I can hear myself say, almost inaudibly, “Don’t leave me…”

他没有回答我,只狠狠用了一下力疼得我差点要叫出声来。
He doesn't answer me, but only ruthlessly increases his force. I almost cry out in pain.

这个禽兽!
This animal!

没等他折腾完,我又睡着了。
Before he could finish his business with me, I fell asleep again.

这一觉睡到大天亮才醒,窗帘密闭四合,周围安静极了。只有落地窗帘底下才透进绒绒的一圈光,我翻了个身,缎子的被褥清凉,差点从我肩上滑下去。宿醉的疲倦与困乏让人懒洋洋的,不想动弹。床上没有莫绍谦的任何气息,我旁边的枕头仍旧是蓬松无痕。我想昨晚的事大约是我做梦,要不就是喝太多的幻觉。我在床上躺了好一会儿,最后在床头柜上摸到手表来看,已经七点了。
I didn’t wake up again till the next morning. All the windows curtains are tightly pulled together. Everything sits in absolute silence. A thin line of light becomes only visible below the drapery of the walled window. As I turn over, the cold satin comforter almost slips off my shoulder. I only feel exhaustion and lethargy from my hangover, lacking the energy to even move a muscle.

Not a single trace of Mo Shaoqian is left on the bed. The pillow next to me seems untouched without a line of crease.  I guess everything that happened last night was just a dream or perhaps I was hallucinating after too much alcohol. I lie in bed for a little longer and finally manage to grope for my wrist watch on the dresser. It’s already 7 am.

爬起来洗漱,然后下楼去,楼下空荡荡的,只有家务助理在做清洁,见着我露出一个职业的微笑:“小姐,早。”
I got out of bed to brush and wash, then went down stairs to face the emptiness of the house. Only a few house cleaning staff were present to greet me with their professional smile. “Good morning, Miss.”
“早。”我踮起脚往花房那边张望,家务助理猜到了我的心思,对我说:“先生一早走啦,司机送他去的机场。”
”Morning.”

I stretch upward on my toes to look in the direction of the flower house. The house cleaning staff immediately understood my intention and said to me, “Mr. Mo left this morning. The chauffeur sent him off to the airport.”

莫绍谦走了,听到这句话,我整个人绷着的弦都松了,高高兴兴换衣服去学校。
Mo Shaoqian left. When I heard these words, I felt the tight strain on my body loosen up. I change my clothes and happily head off to school.

上午只有两节课,下了课我本来想回寝室去补眠,但悦莹死活拉着我陪她:“大好辰光睡什么觉啊?快跟我去篮球馆,大学生机器人大赛,今天在那儿有场选拔赛。”
In the morning, I only have two classes and planned to go back to my dorm room to sleep after my classes. But Yueying unyieldingly insisted that I accompany her to go somewhere.
“It’s nice and bright outside, why are you wasting it on sleep? Come on! Go with me to the basketball court.  Today, they’re selecting the contestants for the College RoboCup over there.”

“机器人有什么好看的?”
“What’s so great about watching robots?”

看悦莹两眼发光的样子,我就知道她又犯花痴了。果然她说:“慕振飞!慕振飞要来啊!”她抓着我的手乱摇,“是慕振飞啊!听说他们学校由他带队,今天他会来!”
Staring at Yueying’s glowing eyes, I know she’s fallen head over heels over someone again. Instantly she said, “Mu Zhenfei! Mu Zhefei is coming!”

拜悦莹所赐,我对这位慕振飞的事迹知之甚详。丫简直是丰功伟绩数不胜数,从逼宫后勤集团到跟辅导员叫板到被校长钦点,屡屡传到我们这边来,可见名头有多响招牌有多亮fans有多狂……据说隔壁学校每年新生入学的时候,只要丫坐镇学生会,连迎新会都会显得格外热火朝天。对于隔壁那个以理性和刻板著称的理工大学而言,出现这样的狂热容易么?
Thanks to Yueying, I’m well aware of all the great details surrounding Mu Zhenfei. He’s practically invincible with a record breaking history. From his coup d’etat to his efficient rallying of people to his revolt against the teaching assistant, and finally his appointment by the school, I’ve heard every incident one by one. This truly demonstrates the extent of his fame and the intense fervor of his fans…Supposedly, during the annual recruitment of new students at our neighbor school, he would just have to sit at the student association meeting and the list of new enrollments becomes unprecedentedly high. For a famously rational and tediously boring university of science and technology, it’s rare to see such a ruckus.

每次提到他,悦莹就长吁短叹:“隔壁建校也有一百多年,出色的人也多了,可恨都生得太早,没等我看上一眼就都不在了。能和慕振飞处在同一时代,真是好幸福好幸福哦……”后头那个“哦”字,还是标准的台湾腔,听得一阵阵肉麻。
Every single time his name is mentioned, Yueying would sigh in long and short breaths, “Our neighbor school has been established for over a 100 years already with an impressive number of famously talented people.  But it’s hateful that all of them were born too early and I couldn’t catch up in time to take a peek at them before they left. The fact that I can live in the same era as Mu Zhenfei brings such exhilarating happiness…”
She ended her sentence in mushy note and a standard Taiwanese accent, which sent shivers down my spine.

今天能见着慕振飞的真人,估计她会幸福得睡不着了。
The fact that she can see Mu Zhenfei in person today will probably make her so ecstatic that she won’t be able to sleep tonight.

看到慕振飞的刹那,我算是彻底意外。倒不是对面看台上,一群美眉打着横幅舞着彩色的拉拉花,那阵势跟流川枫的亲卫队似的,只差没满场飞心心眼然后万众齐呼我爱你。而是这位慕振飞同学,长得真是太标致了。我就知道悦莹一贯以貌取人,但我怎么也没想到传闻中那个飞扬跋扈的慕振飞,竟然是一唇红齿白少年郎,笑起来还有酒窝,一张脸阳光灿烂。
The moment I saw Mu Zhenfei, he wasn’t what I expected. I wasn’t not shocked by the grandstand across from us where a pack of pretty girls waving their colorful poms poms in absolute delight nor by the fact that the scene resembled the cheerleading team of Kaede Rukawa (in Slam Dunk). All they were missing was some flashy red heart signs with “I love you” written everywhere.
I am actually quite shocked by how handsomely perfect our fellow Mu Zhenfei looks. I always knew Yueying tended to judge people based on looks. But I never expected the legendary arrogant and ostentatious Mu Zhenfei to be just a youthful boy with pinkish red lips and gleaming white teeth. When he smiles, his dimples surface and his face brighten up like the sun.

真是人不可貌相,这年头连小白脸都不是等闲之辈。
One should never judge another solely on looks, even a pretty boy can become formidable figure in this era.

不过等他往场地中心一站,那个目光,那个气势,还真是渊渟岳峙。用句武侠小说的话来形容,一代宗师气派啊。就跟张无忌似的,看着以为是个小道童,谁知一出招就横扫光明顶。只见他拍了拍巴掌,然后一队人马就凑到了一块,头碰头肩并肩,最后一一搭住手掌,发出激昂的狂吼:“必胜!”
When he stands at the center of the court, the attention he attracts and his aura of dominance really have no limits. As described in Wuxia novels, he has the class and manner of a great sect leader of his era.  Like Zhang Wuji[1], he acts like a minor Daoist student. But who would guess that once he unleashes himself, he strikes without challenge all the way up to Guangming Peak. I only see him clap his hands once and then immediately a group of people rally together in a circle -- head to head, shoulder to shoulder. At the end, they all strike their palms together to roar, “LET’S WIN!”


[1]The male protagonist in the famous Louis Cha's Wuxia novel Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber.

Popular Posts

Understanding the final episode of Sealed with a Kiss

Character Guide to Nirvana in Fire 2: Wind Blows in Changlin

✿ Chinese Drama ✿ Sealed with a Kiss Miniseries Sequel

Ru Yi: The drama that brought Hawick Lau and Yang Mi together

Movie Rant: A Frozen Flower explores homosexuality versus heterosexuality themes